Monday, July 5, 2010

Alzheimer's Quilts

Hi all,

This is off topic but you could still get a great workout for your Janome from it.  I've seen articles in the quilting magazines before and thought I should look into this site.  Ami Simms is a well known quilter and author. Her mother had Alzheimer's.  She founded a 501(c)3 charity called Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (http://www.AlzQuilts.org).

Initially they had a display of 52 quilts that is a traveling exhibit called "Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece By Piece".  The second component is that they raise funds for research and raise awareness through the auction and sales of donated quilts.    Here's the kicker - the quilts must be 9" x 12" or smaller.  Not so bad hmm? 

They are trying to collect 1000 quilts to take to Houston for the Quilt Festival.  The specifics are here.  http://www.alzquilts.org/houston.html

I had promised to post about this a few days ago and I forgot.  This morning I was reading a heart rending tale in the news about a woman undergoing a clinical experiment in California.  It involves two pencil sized holes being drilled into her skull and she may or may not have received the test medication.  As I read about her and read her husband and son's comments, I couldn't help but cringe. 

There are so many worthy causes that quilters help out with:  Project Linus, Quilters against Breast Cancer, the ConKerr Cancer Pillowcase projects, Hancock's & St. Jude's Quilt of Dreams, and so many more. 

As I gave a few yards of fabric to a new quilter this morning, I quietly set aside a few extra pieces.  I know what I'm going to be working on this weekend. Best of wishes to all of you and hopefully some of you will choose to send in some quilts as well.
http://www.alzquilts.org/houston.html

No comments:

Post a Comment